St Mark’s Lutheran Church

Jane Smith  1985

St. Mark’s Lutheran Church celebrates its centennial year in 1985, evidencing 100 years of service to the Lord in the Blythewood area.  Organized in 1885 by the Rev. C. P. Boozer and the Rev. L. E. Busby, it began with twenty- six charter members, - many from the Dutch Fork area of the state.  

The first building was constructed by four dedicated men who each contributed one hundred dollars, and was placed on a site, donated by a Methodist layman, on what is now Blythewood Road. This building, dedicated in 1888, is now gone, but the old cemetery remains at this location.  In 1927 St. Mark’s joined with St. Andrews Lutheran church, Blythewood to form the St. Andrews/St. Mark’s Parish.  The Rev. T. C. Parker was the first Pastor to serve the newly formed parish.

After a few years passed, the decision was made to relocate St. Mark’s to a spot on Highway 21 in Blythewood itself.  Land was donated by Dr. Michael Langford and Mr. Luther Langford, the old church building on Blythewood road was torn down, and this lumber was transported to the new site for use in erecting the new church building.  Interim services of worship were held at the Blythewood School building for three years until the new edifice could be completed.

In March, 1931 the cornerstone was laid (by Dr. Langford) for this building, which still serves the congregation, and the service of dedication was held with representatives of the S. C. Lutheran Synod present.  Membership had grown at this point to 39 confirmed and 53 Baptized members.  The joint parish continued to serve the needs of the area until 1966, when the congregation of St. Mark’s agreed with St. Andrews to dissolve the parish, and for each to go their separate ways. The jointly owned parsonage (adjacent to Trinity Methodist) was sold. From this point each congregation was a separate entity, affiliated with the Lutheran Synod of South Carolina.  Recognizing the enormous potential of the rapidly growing area surrounding Blythewood, St. Mark’s, in 1967, entered into a joint ministry venture with the Division of Missions in North America (DMNA), and committed itself to progressive growth, both in numbers and in spiritual service to the community and its changing needs.